Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Hunt Is On

So I'm looking for a job. I hate this part. I hate hitting the bricks and getting rejected time and time again. Once I'm settled in, then its OK.

So why am I seeking employment, you may ask? (I'm just going to pretend you did).

Well, its because I've been in my current job for about five years now and have only received two raises. And before you make assumptions as to my job performance, its not because my job skills are lackluster, its because I work for my mom & pop in a small mom & pop store, and we don't bring in enough money for them to pay me more than they do.

So that, coupled with the fact that I really hate my job. I'm basically a sales associate and I also create appraisals and advertisements. I have to strap on the fancy pants every day, take the Metrolink for a 45 minute commute to Swansea, IL and sit behind my computer until some schlub walks in and wants to get a watch battery changed or buy some gaudy bauble.

Even though its a family business, I have no interest in keeping it going. Once my dad retires, that'll be the end of the business. But right now, I feel like I'm there out of obligation rather than because its what I want to do.

So anyway, the hunt is on, if at least for a part time gig. I'm attempting to ingratiate myself with several local watering holes in hopes of scoring employment. I'm trying to get a job in the bar/restaurant business as either a barback or a server.

I also have another motive with this career move. I really want to go back to school, and getting a job like this will allow me to do this. I'm thinking about studying photography and graphic design, as I have developed a love for both of those things in the last few years.

So, if anyone's out there, and if you have suggestions on where to apply, please let me know. I've already applied at Blueberry Hill, Pin Up Bowl, Cicero's, Fubar and Atomic Cowboy. I'm thinking about hitting the Royale and the new hotel Joe Edwards is putting up in The Loop.

I figure I hang out at these establishments anyway, I might as well get paid for it...

No comments: