Saturday, September 20, 2008

Say goodbye to the worst interchange in the country

I was happy to see the lighted road sign in the break-down lane on east-bound I-64 flashing that Hampton Avenue was going to close this week. Not because I chuckle at the thought of hundreds of drivers freaking out that their driving routines will be thrown into chaos, but because it means that the worst designed interchange in the country (in my opinion) is finally going away.

Dig this aerial view courtesy of Google maps:

View Larger Map

Is this not the most screwed-up interchange ever? The east-bound exit and entrance ramps are hairpin turns that wreak havoc on traffic, especially during winter. I can't tell you how many accidents I've seen at this interchange or how many times I've almost wiped out or been plowed into by other drivers. And the other two clover-leafs are a grand waste of space.

So, as part of the I-64 reconstruction, the Hampton interchange is getting 86-ed in favor of a more sensible interchange, similar to the one at I-270 and Olive Blvd.:

View Larger Map

I, for one, will be happy to see this horrible example of street planning go away. It may be slightly inconvenient for a bit, but the pay-off will be worth it. Now, if I can just get my butt down there and snap some pics before they tear it down...

No comments: